Daytime Emergency Care
Contact Oceanside Veterinary Hospital
OPEN: Monday - Friday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
Saturday: 08:00 am - 04:00 pm
Call: (760) 757-1571
After-Hours Emergency Care
Contact VCA California Veterinary Specialists - Carlsbad
OPEN: 24 Hours
Call: (760) 431-2273
Emergency Veterinary Services
If your pet exhibits any concerning symptoms or behaviors, contact our office immediately or the after-hours emergency pet hospital listed above.
Oceanside Veterinary Hospital's dependable and compassionate team provides veterinary care for pets in the majority of emergencies. Our passion is animals, and we take pride in providing high-quality medical care when your pet is in desperate need.
Steps to Take In A Pet Emergency
If you are experiencing a veterinary emergency, follow the steps below.
- Call Ahead If Possible - Call us immediately during regular business hours. After hours, call the emergency animal hospital on the list above to notify them of your impending arrival.
- Follow Instructions Provided - When you call to notify the emergency pet hospital that you are on your way, you may be given instructions on how to administer first aid or otherwise make your pet as comfortable as possible. Take care to follow these instructions.
- Remain Calm - Remain calm and be extra careful around your pet. When an animal is in pain they often react negatively towards anyone trying to help and could bite or scratch.
- Bring Your Pet In For Care - Do not put yourself at risk! Safely bring your pet to our Oceanside veterinary clinic or the after-hours emergency vet location above.
Learn more about bringing your pet in for an emergency appointment at Oceanside Veterinary Hospital by reading our most frequently asked questions below.
- Do I need to call ahead?
Oceanside Veterinary Hospital provides emergency and urgent veterinary care for cats and dogs during our regular clinic hours. It's always best to contact us in advance if you can, but we understand that in emergencies that's not always possible.
If we are unable to fit your pet into our schedule, we recommend that you visit the after-hours emergency vet location shown above.
- When is your clinic open?
Our veterinarians see emergency cases during our regular business hours:
- Monday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Tuesday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Wednesday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Thursday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Friday: 08:00 am - 06:00 pm
- Saturday: 08:00 am - 04:00 pm
- Sunday: Closed
- What situations require emergency veterinary care?
The following situations are examples of emergencies that require immediate care:
- Severe bleeding or bleeding that doesn't stop
- Obvious signs of pain or extreme anxiety
- Choking, difficulty breathing, or continuous coughing/gagging
- Fractured bones or severe lameness
- Seizures and/or staggering
- Bleeding from nose, mouth, rectum, or blood in the urine
- Inability to urinate or pass feces, or pain associated with urinating or passing feces
- Severe vomiting or diarrhea; 2+ episodes in 24-hours
- Injuries to the eye(s)
- Your pet has ingested something poisonous (such as antifreeze, xylitol, chocolate, rodent poison, etc.)
- Heat stress or heatstroke
- Refusal to drink for 24 hours or more
- How long will we have to wait to see the vet?
Our Oceanside animal hospital is just like a human doctor's office—it can be unpredictable and you may have to wait.
We cannot predict what cases we will see and when they will arrive. If possible, call ahead to find out whether we can provide emergency care for your dog or cat.
If we are unable to fit an emergency appointment into our vet's schedule we recommend that you visit the 24/7 animal emergency hospital detailed above.
- What happens if my pet needs to stay in the hospital?
Some veterinary emergencies require intensive overnight care. If your pet requires extended hospitalization, we'll refer you to the nearest 24-hour emergency hospital so your pet can receive the care they need.
- What types of animals do you treat?
Our emergency veterinarians are experienced with cats and dogs.